Smart tips for drinking
- Drink mostly in between the meals
- Water or (herbal) tea should be the basis
- Red wine and espresso help digestion
Why should we drink mostly in between the meals and mostly water?
Water is what the body needs – namely every cell of our body. What for? For every biomechanical process.
Why shouldn’t we drink too much during the meal? Too much water dissolves the digestion acids in the stomach. Which means it takes more time to the body to digest the meal. That is why before, during and shortly after the meal we should drink only a bit to splash the food.
We can hear every now and then that one should drink before being thirsty as it is already “too late for the body”. Think about it: the human kind survived with this basic reflex for quite some time, we don’t need to drink liters just not to be thirsty. By drinking too much or a lot at once we unnecessarily stress our liver and kidneys. The color and smell of the urine is the best indicator and it is very individual. Rather than drinking half a liter of water at once, it is better to sip every now and then.
To start the digestion and speed it up, try to drink warm water with a bit of lemon juice on empty stomach as the first thing in the morning.
What we should avoid or be careful about
- Industrially produced drinks / anything which contains added sugar or any artificial additives
- Fruit juices (even freshly pressed) should be consumed carefully. Fruits should be consumed in their natural form due to the fiber which gets lost when juicing them. We would not eat up 2 oranges, 1 banana and 1 mango at once, but it is no problem to drink the same amount in a fresh juice!